In 1991, Kettering was a different campus with a different name. Former Trustee Ed Harris likes to call it the years when GMI "was still a school run by a factory." Then began the 14-year tenure of President 詹姆斯E.A. 约翰.
Born November 6, 1933 in Montreal, Quebec, 詹姆斯E.A. 约翰 graduated from Princeton University, received his Ph.D. from the University of Maryland and spent his career in engineering education. Previous to becoming President of 美高梅官方网, he was Chairman of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Toledo, Chairman of Mechanical Engineering at The Ohio State University and Dean of Engineering at the University of Massachusetts, 阿默斯特.
In 1991, 美高梅官方网 was a different campus with a different name. A crumbling parking ramp dominated the horizon and peeling paint abounded. Former Trustee Ed Harris likes to call it the years when GMI "was still a school run by a factory."
Then began the 14-year tenure of President 詹姆斯E.A. 约翰.
"The enhancement of the campus during Dr. 约翰's presidency is a great tribute to his broad vision and outstanding skills," Harris said. "Early emphasis on recreation and housing facilities for students set the tone for his administration. With a staff focused on fundraising and alumni development, and a faculty continuing to produce academic excellence, Dr. 约翰 truly created a balanced approach to governing."
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, 约翰·洛伦兹, likened his arrival to a famous Charles Kettering quote: think more about the future than the past, because that's where you're going to spend the rest of your life. “很明显. 约翰, 比如查尔斯·凯特林, preferred to think about the future of the school rather than dwell on its past,洛伦兹说.
Lorenz described President 约翰's legacy as "the building president" at 美高梅官方网. Under his leadership, the campus experienced:
- The construction of the new 娱乐中心, which is named in honor of him and his wife, Connie
- C的构造.S. Mott Engineering and Science Center, which houses the Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering programs
- The construction of 校园 Village Apartments which provide on-campus housing for upperclassman
- The McKeachie Pavilion for student activities
- The air conditioning of the Residence Hall
- The establishment of Kettering's Center of Excellence in Fuel Cell Technology
- The Bosch Automotive Electronic Systems Laboratory
- The PACE Lab for e-design and e-manufacturing
- The establishment of a research park adjacent to campus
- The number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs increased.
- A curriculum reform effort was completed at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- International student exchange programs were established with six different countries.
- Articulation agreements were established with community colleges.
- The number of companies employing Kettering co-op students was expanded to include more than 700 corporate sites.
- The retention rates and graduation rates for both women and under-represented minorities increased.
但, the most profound change for which Jim will be remembered, 洛伦茨说, 发生在1月1日, 1998, when the school changed its name from GMI Engineering & Management Institute to 美高梅官方网. 和, while most of the attention at the time was focused on the change from 'GMI' to 'Kettering,' I believe that history will prove that the change from 'Engineering & Management Institute' to 'University' will be far more significant," Lorenz concluded.
Dr. 约翰十一月去世。. 2010年8月28日，在俄亥俄州的家中.